Saturday, November 21, 2009

Just Fudge


Grandma Sofia's Fudge


I used to sit in my grandmother’s kitchen in Goleta, California and stir and stir this fudge.  I remember complaining about the constant stirring.  I didn’t complain about the end result.  If you don’t cook the marshmallow/sugar mixture long enough the fudge won’t set.  You’ll have mushy fudge that cannot be sliced.  It won’t be tragic, you just won’t be able to give them away.  You’ll have to eat them standing at the fridge with a spoon.  Really not such a bad outcome...  I made a batch recently with organic marshmallows (yes, they really make such a thing).  My sister thought that it “didn’t taste like Grandma’s fudge.”  Apparently if you want the “real” 1970s version you must use non-organic marshmallows.  Pick your poison.


1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 package best quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
¼ cup stick margarine or unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 ounces evaporated milk
20 regular sized marshmallows (not the eency-teency ones)
2 cups sugar


Place first four ingredients into a bowl.
        
In a heavy saucepan put the evaporated milk, marshmallows and sugar. Cook for six minutes AFTER the mixture starts to boil, stirring constantly.


Pour the hot marshmallow mixture over the nuts and chocolate chips. Mix until blended. Pour mixture into a greased 9x9 pan. Refrigerate until set. Slice and serve.

3 comments:

  1. ooo! A new blog! What a nice, rustic photo. I love fudge; I'm bookmarking this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Memoria. Let me know if you make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachael,

    Pam from threemanycooks here. Just wanted to say thanks for all the traffic you've sent our way. Looks like we have a lot in common. I'm followin' you!

    ReplyDelete